You may be able to get your birth control prescription right from the pharmacist ! Pharmacists in Oregon now can directly prescribe patients certain types of birth control, once trained on how to talk about these birth control methods and how to help you decide if it’s a good match for you.
- It’s voluntary for pharmacists to take the training. Not every pharmacist will prescribe birth control. Call your local pharmacy to check!
- Pharmacists should tell you from the start how much they charge for the service and supplies and whether or not they can bill your insurance.
- Pharmacists cannot require you to schedule an appointment for prescribing or dispensing of birth control.
- You will need to fill out a health history form and have your blood pressure checked
- If you are under 18, you’ll need to provide proof of a previous prescription from a health care provider
Please print and use our consumer brochure with more information on getting birth control prescribed at the pharmacy- and getting emergency contraception over-the-counter.
- PDX Monthly: Are Oregon’s new birth control laws actually helping anyone? 1/4/17
- OPB: Oregon Pharmacists To Prescribe Birth Control Starting Jan. 1 12/28/15
OREGON PHARMACISTS PRESCRIBING OF CONTRACEPTIVE THERAPY