Now some may get a prescription right from the pharmacist for birth control! A law passed in Oregon so some pharmacists can directly prescribe two types of birth control. Participating pharmacists are trained on how to talk about these birth control methods and how to help you decide if it’s a good match for you.
- It’s voluntary for pharmacists to take the training. Not every pharmacist will prescribe birth control. Call your local pharmacy to check!
- Pharmacists should tell you from the start how much they charge for the service and supplies and whether or not they can bill your insurance.
- Pharmacists cannot require you to schedule an appointment for prescribing or dispensing of birth control.
Please print and use our consumer brochure with more information on getting the pill and patch prescribed at the pharmacy- and getting emergency contraception over-the-counter.
- PDX Monthly: Are Oregon’s new birth control laws actually helping anyone? 1/4/17
- OHSU: Oregon’s new birth control law increases access, but more still to be done 3/28/16
OPB: Oregon Pharmacists To Prescribe Birth Control Starting Jan. 1 12/28/15
OREGON PHARMACISTS PRESCRIBING OF CONTRACEPTIVE THERAPY